Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring break project 2- Sheet metal brake

The second project I did was a 50+ inch DIY / home made sheet metal brake. I've been wanting one of these for a while since they seemed useful for various auto body and storage projects in the shop. These things are quite expensive even at harbor freight so I decided to try to make my own. My dad donated most of the metal so other than some welding rods and lots of time I have no actual money in it. I had a problem getting one of the side pivots to line up so after the frustration of the original design wore me down I cheated and used a door hinge I had laying around. I also made a stand from an old exercise machine which you can see in the pictures. The stand has a short piece of 2" receiver I have been saving and I'm making mounts for tools that will slide into the mount. The brake will probably require some bracing to prevent flex over such a long span but I'll deal with that when I start using it and see that it really needs it. The stand will get it's own detail post.


No comments:

Post a Comment