Monday, April 11, 2011

New tailpipe for the Metro

I was driving through a construction site where they left a rather large step in the pavement from a milling operation and the jolt knocked my tailpipe right off the car. It was only welded on to the thin sheet metal case of the stock (but gutted) muffler and the thin metal just broke around the weld. The original muffler tailpipe extended into the muffler and had several more support points so the end cap of the muffler was not designed for the stress the way I modified it. I found the tailpipe that came off and thought about just re-welding it but since the new hole was larger now and the car seemed to like it (better MPG without it) I decided to use a larger pipe. I found some 2.5" pipe in the scrap pile and this is what it looks like now.


The old pipe that fell off 1-7/8" OD I think it was.


The old pipe slid inside the new pipe.




Watch out ricers!

No comments:

Post a Comment